Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The One where I Don't Know

When I started working as a booker at a modeling agency, the first thing my new boss told me was that I was to never, ever say "I don't know" to a model if she or he asked about a client, a booking, a casting, etc. She said to say something like, "Give me just a minute to double check," and I could put them on hold and get the answer. Under no circumstances was I to say "I don't know" because these people were paying us to manage their careers and to know everything. It's funny what you take with you.

I think about this all the time. When I ask you, Office Depot customer service representative, when my printer will arrive, you should know. If you don't, who does? Publix man, you should know where the wheat germ is. If you don't, you should be able to find someone for me who does. But the situation where it is the most unacceptable is at the daycare.

"Did she eat all of her lunch today?"
"I don't know, I wasn't here until the afternoon."

"Did she take a nap? How long did she sleep?"
"I don't know when she fell asleep, but she woke up about 30 minutes ago."

"Did she poop?"
"Oh, I don't know because so-n-so forgot to write everything down."

"Where is her blanket?"
"Hmmmm. I don't know. It will turn up, I'm sure."

Why can't people everywhere just do things the right way? You know, just like the modeling agencies do!

No comments: