Sunday, February 15, 2009

The One where it trickled down.

When our government decided to bail out the big banks with taxpayer money, I didn't get all up in arms about it. I love America and believe that the people that run it really do have our best interest in mind. If I didn't believe that, I would be one of those annoying people who are always going off about how things are run as if they could do a better job. So when it was said that taxpayer bailout money would be used to help "Wall Street" and it would then trickle down to "Main Street," I thought, "Great! I'll just be patient while that financial help trickles on down."

Well, it's trickled all right.

Upon opening my Citibank bill yesterday, I saw that my interest rate went from 5.99% to 14.99%, thus doubling my minimum payment and ruining my schedule to have it paid off. So, in a fit of fury and rage, I called to demand an explanation. I was informed that had I responded to a letter that they sent in November, I could have opted to keep my interest rate as it was. Fortunately, I still had that option so I took it. However, because I chose to keep my low interest rate, they will be terminating my account on my card's expiration date after 15 years of being a customer.

And here is why:

The taxpayer money they got from the government was "simply a loan" with a very, very high interest rate. In order to pay back the government plus interest and break even, they have to raise the interest on their customers' accounts. And as far as I can tell, that is how the bailout has trickled down.

3 comments:

Sweet Sassy Molassy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Kind of like being peed on, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

Citi lied to you. Their high interest rate is 8%. And that is after taxpayers (read: you)ate a bunch of their bad debt.
The truth will set you free, just google it. :)
Cousin PZ