Thursday, November 20, 2008

The One with the envelope full of cash.

There is a commercial airing that constantly catches my attention. It is for a service called “Cash for Gold.”

Apparently, you call and tell them that you want to send them your old gold jewelry. They will send you an envelope, clearly marked CASH FOR GOLD. You place all of your gold into the envelope and send it off to the Cash for Gold headquarters where they will quickly send you some cash in return.

Now, I am not one of the bad guys. However, if I were one of the bad guys who caught sight of an envelope clearly marked CASH FOR GOLD, I think I would have to pounce on it. It doesn’t take a mathematician to figure out that there is a 50% chance you’ll find cash or a 50% chance you’ll find gold. Unless, of course, you’re so unlucky to intercept the envelope on the first treasure-less leg of its trip. But since I am no mathematician, I cannot tell you the odds of that happening.

My point is that it seems like such an easy target for criminals, this Cash for Gold. Do people really put their old class rings, first marriage wedding bands, baby bracelets, etc. into an envelope and send it off into the abyss? Why not just go down the street to a pawn shop? Why not try your luck with EBay?

It makes me think there’s more to it—like that it’s a trap to catch the bad guys. I bet it is. It's probably a Dateline set up. Those bad guys better watch out!

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Chip and I have this same conversation every time we see this commercial.