Monday, October 20, 2008

The one with the scary costume

By nature, I am a procrastinator extraordinaire. I put things off, and then I rush to get them done "in a timely fashion." However, I like to do things in advance from time to time, but I am learning that there really is no point.

A little over a month ago, I saw this costume for the little lady, and I just had to have it.














When I saw it, I tried to talk myself into putting off buying it, but I couldn't. I knew that if I talked myself into procrastinating, I would talk myself out of it once it came time to buy it. So I bit the bullet and bought it.

Big mistake.

She is absolutely terrified of it! I took it out of her closet last night, and she immediately shook her head no and ran in the other direction. So I danced it around the room, and she laid down on the floor at her daddy's feet.

I decided that I'd let her decide when she was ready, and I put it in the middle of the floor. She tiptoed around it--wouldn't go anywhere near it--scaled the walls to stay as far away as possible. Finally, I gave up. But her daddy didn't.

He got it on her despite her screams to the contrary. She stood there and cried. I thought that she'd get over it so I went and got a mirror so she could see how pretty she looked. When she saw herself, she got angry. She grabbed the little purple petals and pulled, shook her head and looked away.

Sobbing, she finally came to me and put her head on my shoulder. I guess every couple of seconds, she remembered how mad she was because she would tense up and grunt. I couldn't take it anymore; I felt terrible. I'm taking it back.

I suppose now I will be rushing around to get her a new costume in a timely fashion. I just hope that there will be time for that and for carving this pumpkin that's been sitting in the middle of my kitchen floor.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Maybe that dress is haunted and only she can see it. Is it still in your house? In that closet?

Heather said...

uh oh! Wish me luck that Clara will like her Witch costume.......

Stephanie said...

Connor had a couple of Halloweens at that age where he refused to wear a costume. They were all terrifying to him! I hope Harper finds something that she likes.