1. The Little Lady needs to lose the binky.
2. The Little Lady needs to be potty trained.
3. The Little Lady needs to move to a big girl bed.
The binky has only started bothering me lately, but I think it would be best forgotten before we start the nightmare that must be potty training. Do you see how I've already begun over-analyzing? It gets worse. I decided that I would wait until after she turns 2 next month, and I might execute something elaborate to commemorate the occasion. Perhaps I will tie a weight to the binky and throw it off a bridge or back my car over it. In preparation of the binky's departure, I will warn the Little Lady that once her birthday comes, and she's 2, she won't need it anymore. Sounds like a plan, but then the over-thinking really kicks into gear. Is she going to dread her 2nd birthday because it means the end of her beloved binky? Is she going to cry at the very mention of cake and ice cream? Am I ruining her birthday by associating the two?
And if we get through that, I don't even know where to begin the the potty training. I've heard about training in three days, but the catch is that for the following three months, the child should be naked from the waist down whenever at home. Maybe this works for some people, but I don't want any naked bottoms on my couch. Not even cute baby bottoms. I'm sure that when this method was developed, the creator didn't worry too much about her couch. She really should have. Beyond this method, I haven't a clue even where to begin with the potty training.
But I know where it ends. It ends with the Little Lady sleeping overnight without the trusted protection of a diaper. This leads me to the task of transitioning to a big girl bed. I hate changing crib sheets. I can only imagine how frequent sheet-changing must be at this stage of potty training, and I would much rather do it for a bed not surrounded by bars.
So there you have it--a glance into what it's like to fly by the seat of your pants as long as you're flying with a parachute over a large net!

5 comments:
1. Cut a little slit in tip of the binky and she won't like it anymore.
2. Wait until she shows interest in using the potty and you will save yourself many, many headaches. And they don't usually sleep in "big girl undies" until you have observed a dry dipe in the morning for a couple of weeks. Even then, you'll have the occasional accident, but not too many.
3. Can't really help you on the bed transition since we could never get the crib thing to work for us.
Good luck!
A cautionary tale: M started wanting to use the potty at 18 months and I dismissed it as too early, but I now know several people who've had success at that age. By the time M was interested again, I ended up having to potty-train a very defiant three-year-old.
My bed transitioning has always been from bigger-to-littler, so I probably can't help out there, either. I highly recommend Elizabeth Pantley's books on the subject, though. Even if you're not having sleep problems, her suggestions for handling crawling-out-of-bed and other toddler issues might be helpful.
I actually found the transition to the big bed to be surprisingly easy. I was worried with Connor because we needed the crib for the baby and I thought he might be resentful. So I overthought it, planned to get him out of the crib during my secondtrimester so that he wouldn't be as likely to put two and two together. But it turns out it was no problem- we let him pick out some cool sheets for the big-boy bed and he was good to go.
Is Harper a good sleeper, or does she wake up in the night asking for you? I never had trouble with my kids climbing out of the big bed, because they were too busy sleeping. They did FALL out a few times, but that didn't usually wake them up.
Andria, your cautionary tale is too late! Harper did show interest at 18 months, but I did not. Now you tell me! ;)
The Little Lady is a good sleeper; I'm not too worried about the big girl bed. The only thing is that her bedroom door basically opens to the top of the stairs so we're going to have to start using a gate again. Unless there's something else I've forgotten to worry about...
Send her to me for 1 month and I will take care of it all!! She will no longer have a binky, but a beer, no longer in the crib but on the couch and no longer in diapers but depends are good!
Post a Comment