I milked you all for advice, and now I want to thank you for it. Here's how it went down.
Shannon
I thought soy milk was a brilliant idea! Keith loves it, and I hoped that the little lady would too. I rushed to the store for a carton and wasted no time in pouring her first cup. She took a sip and tossed it over the side of her high chair.
Stephanie
You suggested chocolate milk, orange juice and ice cream (but not all at once). First, I tried the chocolate milk just knowing that she would love it. She took a sip and tossed it over the side of her high chair. I tried the orange juice next, and she drank some but not much. I gave her the juice again the next day, but she was still only taking about 3 to 5 ounces of any fluids. I wasn't ready to give her ice cream. It's bad enough I have to share my ice cream with Keith, but now her too! Already???
The Saucier
Whenever I filled the sippy cup with whiskey, I would find Keith sipping it instead. The little lady never even had a chance to try it.
Favorite Aunt Carol
You were the second person to suggest ice cream so I finally fixed her a little bowl. She spit it out. Did everyone get that? She SPIT. IT. OUT. Shocking.
Sassy Molassy
Your telling me not to worry made me feel a lot better. Drinking to thirst makes sense so whenever I would feel the worry creeping up, I would just think of all of your healthy kids drinking to thirst.
Larnjean
When I went to the grocery store, I looked at the calcium on every chart of every bit of food that I bought so that I could take your advice of giving it in other foods. But you must be a magician because I cannot figure out how to get milk into a box of waffles.
At this point, I had decided that the little lady would be eating yogurt, cheese and spinach for every meal and drinking orange juice in between, and then the phone rang. And in a hushed whisper on the other end, I heard my mother. She was at work so she was trying to be quiet, but she took a break from fixing the problems of all the clinics in the Southeast to fix my problem.
Nonna
"Mrs. Katherine," she whispered, "I know she hasn't been drinking milk, but she's really not drinking anything at all, right? And you said she spit ice cream out. I think it must be because it's cold. Why don't you try just taking the chill out of the milk? Put it in the microwave for 30 seconds on 1/2 power."
That night the little lady drank 4 ounces. The next morning at breakfast...6 ounces! That 6 ounces was guzzled down in the same amount of time it took me to fix her a bowl of oatmeal. And the following morning, she drank 8 ounces.
Lucky for the little lady, Nonna knows everything!
Saturday, June 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
If I've said it once, I've said it a hundred times: Mom is always right!
Nonna is pretty smart, but I still say the answer is whiskey. The answer is always whiskey.
If only you'd though to warm the whiskey! Or if Elissa had suggested microwaving the ice cream.
Yay Nonna!!
Post a Comment