Tuesday, February 5, 2008

The One where I didn't have much to say.

I'm sure there will be a lot of these, where I don't have much to say but manage to say something anyway. It kind of sums up my whole personality as a matter of fact. Anywho, here is a great recipe that is really fast and easy that I wanted to share. We eat it all the time and the next day for lunch too. (And to be honest, we just skip the onions and cilantro.)

Turkey Chili


1 tblspoon olive oil
1 lb lean ground turkey
1 tblspoon minced garlic
21/2 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp each salt and pepper
1 can (14 ½ oz) chicken broth
1 can (19 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 box (10 oz) frozen corn kernels (we only use a ½ can of corn)
½ cup uncooked converted white rice
½ cup green salsa (salsa verde) (this can be hard to find; sub regular if needed)
1 cup chopped sweet onion
½ cup chopped cilantro
Accompaniments: reduced-fat sour cream, green salsa and chopped cilantro

Heat oil in deep, large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add turkey and garlic and cook, stirring to break up meat, 3 to 4 minutes until browned. Add cumin, salt and pepper; cook, stirring, 30 seconds.

Stir in broth, beans, corn, rice and salsa. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, 20 to 25 minutes until rice is tender.

Remove from heat; stir in onion and cilantro. Ladle into bowls; serve with Accompaniments.

Prep: 12 min Cook: About 35 minutes

4 comments:

Unknown said...

This is the one where I don't have much to comment.

Mrs. Katherine said...

that's a first.

Unknown said...

He won't eat chili when I make it usually.

You should use brown rice. Much better for you and much tastier too.

Sassy Molassy said...

Siiigh...that was me.