Thursday, January 31, 2008

Post #3

I really want to start using reusable grocery bags, but of course I need to overanalyze first.

When I go to the grocery store, I buy a lot of stuff. I am usually carrying at least 10 bags out of there for every trip. Do I need to buy 10 or more of these canvas bags? Because when I picture the good people on Earth carrying their canvas bags out of the grocery store, they are usually just holding one or two as they hop on their bike and ride off. They are not struggling with 10 or more.

And if I do just buy a couple, I won't be able to put anything else in them after the 6-pack of beer and the gallon of milk go in.

Okay, so let's say I am supposed to buy 10 or more. There are never that many on display! And where am I supposed to keep them? Where will I store 10 or more canvas bags? Should I just keep them in the car?

And it has been pointed out to me that they are not machine washable. What if meat juice gets all over it?

What will I wrap poopy diapers in? I'm certainly not going to use them for that if they're not machine washable!

Well, when it's all said and done, I think I know what I will do.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I think you should get a canvas bag just to store all your plastic bags in. And you should throw dirty diapers away.

Stephanie said...

I hate to sound like a broken record with all the "OMG me too! LYLAS!" stuff, but I've had this same exact debate with myself, all the way down to the meat juice. (I decided that the manufacturers of reusable bags figure only vegetarian hippies will use them, and therefore did not address this problem.) The only other question I've had is, is it cool to take reusable Target bags to the grocery store, and vice versa. But your solution makes that a moo point (like a cow's opinion!) so I think I'll have to get some bags like that too. And then I'll have to remember to actually take them into the store.

Mrs. Katherine said...

well, now i'm actually going to shop around more for these bags so that i can find something really cute.

Mrs. Katherine said...

Oh! And I love your Joey reference!